The Texas Digital Library (TDL) is staffed by a combination of full-time core staff members and part-time expert contributors from TDL member institutions. The organization also relies on the volunteer contributions of faculty and staff at its member institutions, who provide expertise and advice to the TDL and advocate on behalf of the TDL at their respective institutions.
Mark McFarland leads the Texas Digital Library (TDL) and is responsible for the organization’s direction and day-to-day operations.
Additionally, the Texas Digital Library employs full-time staff members, including both TDL-funded positions and full-time staff contributions from member institutions. Staff members are officed at the University of Texas at Austin. This core staff focuses on the development and maintenance of software and hardware systems, user support activities, and communications with TDL members and the general public. See the chart at the right for a visual depiction of the TDL’s organizational structure.
View the TDL Staff Directory.
The TDL Governing Board provides strategic direction for the Texas Digital Library and is comprised of library deans and directors from seven TDL institutions. The founding ARL members of TDL serve as ex officio members of the Governing Board. The remaining three members are elected at-large from within the Regular Tier 2 membership.
TDL Governing Board members for academic year 2012-2013 are:
- Chair: Dana Rooks, Dean of Libraries, University of Houston*
- Vice-Chair: Fred Heath, Vice Provost, University of Texas at Austin Libraries*
- Secretary: Christine Shupala, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
- David Carlson, Dean, Texas A&M University Libraries*
- Don Dyal, Dean of Libraries, Texas Tech University Libraries*
- Douglas Ferrier, Director of the Killam Library, Texas A&M International University
- Joan Heath, Associate Vice President University Library, Texas State University
*ex officio member
Executive Committee 2012-2013
The officers of the Governing Board form the TDL Executive Committee, which makes day-to-day operational decisions for the TDL.
- Dana Rooks, University of Houston Libraries (Chair)
- Fred Heath, Vice Provost, University of Texas at Austin Libraries (Vice-Chair)
- Christine Shupala, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Secretary)
As a consortium, the Texas Digital Library depends on the active participation of its members and users to be successful. TDL User Groups, Working Groups, and committees provide opportunities for member contributions focused on particular services, professional roles, and projects. See the TDL Groups page for more information.