As a consortium, the Texas Digital Library depends upon the active participation of its members and users to be successful. TDL Users Groups, Working Groups, and committees provide opportunities for member contributions focused on particular services, professional roles, and projects.
Current Active User Groups, Working Groups, and Committees
TDL Dataverse Implementation Working Group (2015-16)
Charge: To pilot test, assess, and launch a consortial repository for research data archiving and management. The group will address:
- Costs and possible funding models
- Technical configuration
- Workflows and outreach
- Policy and governance
- Sean Buckner, Texas A&M University
- Jeremy Donald, Trinity University
- Bruce Herbert, Texas A&M University
- Wendi Kaspar, Texas A&M University
- Nick Lauland, Texas Digital Library
- Kristi Park, Texas Digital Library
- Todd Peters, Texas State University
- Denyse Rodgers, Baylor University
- Cecilia Smith, Texas A&M University
- Chris Starcher, Texas Tech University
- Ryan Steans, Texas Digital Library
- Maurine Sweeney, UT Medical Branch at Galveston
- Santi Thompson (Chair), University of Houston
- Ray Uzwyshyn, Texas State University
TDL ETD Metadata Working Group (2014-15)
Charge: The TDL ETD Metadata Working Group will provide guidance to TDL member institutions and other ETD practitioners on metadata for electronic theses and dissertations, with a particular focus on works published through the Vireo ETD submission and management application.
Sarah Potvin, Texas A&M (Chair)
Kara Long, Baylor
Colleen Lyon UT Austin
Monica Rivero, Rice University
Santi Thompson, University of Houston
Kristi Park, TDL (TDL liaison)
TDL Metadata Community
The TDL Metadata Community re-formed in the summer of 2013 to provide a forum for mutual support and discussion around metadata issues.
Chair: Sarah Potvin, Texas A&M University
Vireo Users Group
The Vireo Users Group (VUG) gathers and prioritizes constituent needs to guide TDL on future development of the Vireo ETD submission and management software. It also provides avenues for the exchange of information about Vireo use and development.
The goals and major activities of the Vireo Users Group include:
- Prioritized lists of user stories are given to the TDL development team.
- A vote on how product enhancements should be prioritized is conducted once a year. The Steering Committee selects the enhancements to be included in the vote.
- Meetings are held at the annual user conference. These meetings give members a forum to express opinions and discuss issues, in person, with other members.
- The list of enhancements and other documentation are organized and made available on the VUG website.
Co-Chairs: Stephanie Larrison (Texas State University) and David Reynolds (Johns Hopkins University)
TDL Conference Committee
The TDL Conference Committee is appointed by the Governing Board and is responsible for planning the annual Texas Conference on Digital Libraries.
The committee for TCDL 2016 consists of:
- Chair: Laura Waugh (University of North Texas)
- Vice Chair: Ramona Holmes (UT Arlington)
- Jee Davis (UT Austin)
- James Williamson (Southern Methodist University)
- Mary Jarvis (West Texas A&M University)
- Susan Elkins (Angelo State University)
TDL DSpace Users Group
The TDL DSpace Users Group is an open group for anyone in Texas currently using or interested in DSpace repository software.
The group uses the TDL DSpace Users Group Email List as a communications hub. The list provides:
- a forum for discussion and mutual support on issues of concern to the DSpace users community
- a means for the TDL to update members on upgrades, training opportunities, and other DSpace-related work of the TDL staff, and
- a channel for rebroadcasting any DuraSpace news related to the DSpace software to the Texas DSpace community
TDL Awards Committee
The TDL Awards Committee is appointed by the Governing Board to recognize outstanding work in digital libraries at academic institutions throughout Texas. Awards are given at the annual Texas Conference on Digital Libraries (TCDL) as part of the reception ceremonies.
More information on each award and instructions for nominations can be found on the TDL Awards page.
Data Management Working Group
The TDL Data Management Working Group convened in Fall 2013 to develop pilot projects and make recommendations for services related to data management, particularly in regard to making research data accessible and reusable.
- Chair: Bruce Herbert, PhD, Director of Digital Services & Scholarly Communications, Texas A&M Libraries
- Martha Buckbee, Emerging Library Technologies Specialist, UT Southwestern Medical Library
- Jeremy Donald, Technology Interface and Assessment Coordinator, Trinity University
- Maria Esteva, PhD, Research Associate/Data Archivist, Texas Advanced Computing Center
- Colleen Lyon, Digital Repository Librarian, UT Austin
- Mark Phillips, Asst. Dean for Digital Libraries, University of North Texas
- Ryan Steans, Director of Operations, Texas Digital Library
- Santi Thompson, Head of Digital Repository Services, University of Houston Libraries
Deliverable: TDL Data Management Working Group Report (August 2015)
Survey Working Group
The TDL Survey Working Group was convened in June 2012 to develop and conduct a survey of the TDL membership to determine needs related to TDL services, marketing, and organization. The results of the Survey Working Group were reported to the TDL Governing Board in the fall of 2012 and released publicly in early 2013.
- Jane Scott (UT Southwestern Medical Center Library) – Marketing Subcommittee
- Gail Clement (Texas A&M University Libraries) – Services Subcommittee
- Jeanne Hazzard (Alkek Library, Texas State University) – Organizational Subcommittee