As a consortium, the Texas Digital Library depends upon the active participation of its members and users to be successful. TDL Users Groups, Working Groups, and committees provide opportunities for member contributions focused on particular services, professional roles, and projects.
Current Active User Groups, Working Groups, and Committees
Data Management Working Group
The TDL Data Management Working Group convened in Fall 2013 to develop pilot projects and make recommendations for services related to data management, particularly in regard to making research data accessible and reusable.
- Chair: Bruce Herbert, PhD, Director of Digital Services & Scholarly Communications, Texas A&M Libraries
- Martha Buckbee, Emerging Library Technologies Specialist, UT Southwestern Medical Library
- Jeremy Donald, Technology Interface and Assessment Coordinator, Trinity University
- Maria Esteva, PhD, Research Associate/Data Archivist, Texas Advanced Computing Center
- Colleen Lyon, Digital Repository Librarian, UT Austin
- Mark Phillips, Asst. Dean for Digital Libraries, University of North Texas
- Ryan Steans, Director of Operations, Texas Digital Library
- Santi Thompson, Head of Digital Repository Services, University of Houston Libraries
TDL Metadata Community
The TDL Metadata Community re-formed in the summer of 2013 to provide a forum for mutual support and discussion around metadata issues.
Chair: Sarah Potvin, Texas A&M University
TDL ETD Metadata Working Group (formed Summer 2014)
Charge: The TDL ETD Metadata Working Group will provide guidance to TDL member institutions and other ETD practitioners on metadata for electronic theses and dissertations, with a particular focus on works published through the Vireo ETD submission and management application.
Kara Long, BaylorColleen Lyon UT Austin
Sarah Potvin, Texas A&M (Chair)
Monica Rivero, Rice University
Santi Thompson, University of Houston
Kristi Park, TDL (TDL liaison)
Amy Rushing, UT San Antonio (advisory)
TDL DSpace Users Group
The TDL DSpace Users Group is an open group for anyone in Texas currently using or interested in DSpace repository software.
The group uses the TDL DSpace Users Group Email List as a communications hub. The list provides:
- a forum for discussion and mutual support on issues of concern to the DSpace users community
- a means for the TDL to update members on upgrades, training opportunities, and other DSpace-related work of the TDL staff, and
- a channel for rebroadcasting any DuraSpace news related to the DSpace software to the Texas DSpace community
DSpace 4 Task Force (formed summer 2014)
Charge: In preparation for upgrades to TDL-hosted DSpace installations, the TDL DSpace 4 Task Force will compare the current hosted version of DSpace (DSpace 1.7) with the latest version (DSpace 4.x) and provide guidance to the TDL DSpace community about changes in the new version
- Effie Bradley, TDL
- Cameron Kainerstorfer, UT Southwestern
- Laura McElfresh, Texas A&M at Galveston
- Chris Starcher, Texas Tech
- Ryan Steans, TDL
- Andrew Weidner, University of Houston
- Kristi Park, TDL (Chair)
The Vireo Users Group gathers and prioritizes constituent needs to guide TDL on future development of the Vireo ETD submission and management software. It also provides avenues for the exchange of information about Vireo use and development.
The goals and major activities of the VUG include:
- Prioritized lists of user stories are given to the TDL development team.
- A vote on how product enhancements should be prioritized is conducted once a year. The Steering Committee selects the enhancements to be included in the vote.
- Meetings are held at the annual user conference. These meetings give members a forum to express opinions and discuss issues, in person, with other members.
- The list of enhancements and other documentation are organized and made available on the VUG website.
Co-Chairs: Stephanie Larrison (Texas State University) and David Reynolds (Johns Hopkins University)
TDL DuraCloud for Preservation Working Group
- Chair: Ryan Steans (Texas Digital Library)
- Michael Bolton (Texas A&M University)
- Ladd Hanson (University of Texas)
- Jennifer Lee (University of Texas)
- Wendy Martin (University of Texas)
- Todd Peters (Texas State University)
- Carissa Smith (DuraSpace)
- Robb Spragg (University of Houston)
- Heidi Winkler (Texas Tech University)
- Annie Wu (University of Houston)
TDL Conference Committee
The TDL Conference Committee is appointed by the Governing Board and is responsible for planning the annual Texas Conference on Digital Libraries.
The committee for TCDL 2014 consists of:
- Chair: Elizabeth Gushee (Harry Ransom Center)
- Eric Ames (Baylor)
- Ramona Holmes (UT Arlington)
- Violeta Ilik (TAMU)
- Lauren Meyers (UH Clear Lake)
- Jeremy Moore (Texas State)
- Laura Waugh (UNT)
TDL Awards Committee
The TDL Awards Committee is appointed by the Governing Board to recognize outstanding work in digital libraries at academic institutions throughout Texas.
Survey Working Group
The TDL Survey Working Group was convened in June 2012 to develop and conduct a survey of the TDL membership to determine needs related to TDL services, marketing, and organization. The results of the Survey Working Group were reported to the TDL Governing Board in the fall of 2012 and released publicly in early 2013.
- Jane Scott (UT Southwestern Medical Center Library) – Marketing Subcommittee
- Gail Clement (Texas A&M University Libraries) – Services Subcommittee
- Jeanne Hazzard (Alkek Library, Texas State University) – Organizational Subcommittee