As a consortium, the Texas Digital Library depends upon the active participation of its members and users to be successful. TDL Users Groups, Working Groups, and committees provide opportunities for member contributions focused on particular services, professional roles, and projects.
Current Active User Groups, Working Groups, and Committees
Data Management Working Group
The TDL Data Management Working Group convened in Fall 2013 to develop pilot projects and make recommendations for services related to data management, particularly in regard to making research data accessible and reusable.
- Chair: Bruce Herbert, PhD, Director of Digital Services & Scholarly Communications, Texas A&M Libraries
- Maria Esteva, PhD, Research Associate/Data Archivist, Texas Advanced Computing Center
- Debra Hanken Kurtz, Executive Director, Texas Digital Library
- Colleen Lyon, Digital Repository Librarian, UT Austin
- Christie Peters, Science Research Support Librarian, University of Houston
- Ryan Steans, Director of Operations, Texas Digital Library
- Joseph Tan Manager, Digital Services & Technology, UT Southwestern Medical Library
- Megan Toups, Instruction/Liaison Librarian, Trinity University
TDL Metadata Community
The TDL Metadata Community re-formed in the summer of 2013 to provide a forum for mutual support and discussion around metadata issues.
Chair: Sarah Potvin, Texas A&M University
TDL DSpace Users Group
The TDL DSpace Users Group is an open group for anyone in Texas currently using or interested in DSpace repository software.
The group uses the TDL DSpace Users Group Email List as a communications hub. The list provides:
- a forum for discussion and mutual support on issues of concern to the DSpace users community
- a means for the TDL to update members on upgrades, training opportunities, and other DSpace-related work of the TDL staff, and
- a channel for rebroadcasting any DuraSpace news related to the DSpace software to the Texas DSpace community
Chair: Mira Greene, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
The Vireo Users Group gathers and prioritizes constituent needs to guide TDL on future development of the Vireo ETD submission and management software. It also provides avenues for the exchange of information about Vireo use and development.
The goals and major activities of the VUG include:
- Prioritized lists of user stories are given to the TDL development team.
- A vote on how product enhancements should be prioritized is conducted once a year. The Steering Committee selects the enhancements to be included in the vote.
- Meetings are held at the annual user conference. These meetings give members a forum to express opinions and discuss issues, in person, with other members.
- The list of enhancements and other documentation are organized and made available on the VUG website.
Co-Chairs: Stephanie Larrison (Texas State University) and David Reynolds (Johns Hopkins University)
TDL Awards Committee
The TDL Awards Committee is appointed by the Governing Board to recognize outstanding work in digital libraries at academic institutions throughout Texas.
- Chair: Shelley Barba (Texas Tech University)
- Board sponsor: Douglas Ferrier (Texas A&M International University)
- Cindy Boeke (Southern Methodist University)
- Susan Elkins (Angelo State University)
- Kate Krause (Houston Academy of Medicine – Texas Medical Center Library)
- Stephanie Larrison (Texas State University)
- Darryl Stuhr (Baylor University)
- Santi Thompson (University of Houston)
- Kristi Park (Texas Digital Library)
TDL Conference Committee
The TDL Conference Committee is appointed by the Governing Board and is responsible for planning the annual Texas Conference on Digital Libraries.
The committee for TCDL 2014 consists of:
- Chair: Billie Peterson-Lugo (Baylor University)
- Vice-Chair: Elizabeth Gushee (Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, UT Austin)
- Jim Brewer (Texas Tech)
- Cameron Kainerstorfer (UT Southwestern Medical Center)
- Nerissa Lindsay (Texas A&M International University)
- Mark Phillips (University of North Texas)
- Rachel Vacek (University of Houston)
- Kristi Park (Texas Digital Library)
Survey Working Group
The TDL Survey Working Group was convened in June 2012 to develop and conduct a survey of the TDL membership to determine needs related to TDL services, marketing, and organization. The results of the Survey Working Group were reported to the TDL Governing Board in the fall of 2012 and released publicly in early 2013.
- Jane Scott (UT Southwestern Medical Center Library) – Marketing Subcommittee
- Gail Clement (Texas A&M University Libraries) – Services Subcommittee
- Jeanne Hazzard (Alkek Library, Texas State University) – Organizational Subcommittee