Have you kept up with all things DSpace at TDL? Lucky for you, we have a list of all of the improvements to TDL-hosted DSpace repositories to share. Check out our DSpace Year in Review to learn about our efforts improving DSpace for users and repository managers alike, and get a sneak peak at what lies ahead for the rest of 2019.
STATE OF TDL DSPACE
Let’s first look at TDL members usage of DSpace. Here are some numbers at-a-glance:
- 20 | TDL hosts 20 DSpace installations for our members.
- 10 | These 20 repositories hold approximately ten terabytes (TB) of content and approximately 185,000 items.
- 2 | TDL will welcome two new repositories in the coming year, with one of those being a Bepress-to-DSpace migration.
- 3 | In addition to the repositories we host, three TDL members host their own DSpace repositories.
- 1 | Our newest repository is Treasures @ UT Dallas. Welcome aboard!
TDL DSPACE IMPROVEMENTS 2018-19
TDL became fully staffed in 2018 with the addition of one full-time software developer to our team. That allowed us to re-organize our staff workload to provide greater developer support to DSpace hosting, leading to the DSpace improvements we achieved in the past year. Our work so far includes:
- Upgrades to DSpace 6 | Upgrades to current member repositories began in Fall 2018, and were completed in February 2019.
- Accessibility improvements | In Spring 2019, we deployed improvements to the video player and thumbnail generation functionality in TDL-hosted DSpace repositories. These improvements allow submitters to include a subtitle or caption file that will be incorporated into videos published in the repository. Click here to see an example from Texas A&M International University’s collection.
- Digital Preservation “Handshake” | This year, TDL piloted a Replication Task Suite that functions as a DSpace-to-DuraCloud integration. Once this pilot is complete, we can deploy new functionality that will allow items in the repository to be ingested through TDL’s DuraCloud instance for members who subscribe to both TDL services. Every digital preservation storage option for TDL members begins with DuraCloud™ @TDL. By offering this service integration, or “handshake,” we are helping reduce redundant tasks for our members.
In addition to our expanded staff capacity, we enlisted the help of our members to lead DSpace trainings and outreach. In September 2018 we re-launched the TDL DSpace User Group. This group is open to any DSpace user and not limited to TDL members. Monthly meetings include topics such as assessments, statistical reporting, DSpace as archives, and using the repository to exhibit digital collections. Additionally, the DSpace Training and Education Group (formerly the DSpace Education Working Group) re-booted their group charter, developed a project roadmap for 2019, and created DSpace 6 documentation in TDL’s training wiki.
PAYING IT FORWARD | DURASPACE + THE DSPACE PROJECT
DuraSpace is an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization providing leadership and innovation for open technologies, including the DSpace platform. TDL continues to contribute to continued development of DSpace and its worldwide user community as Platinum members of the DSpace project.
COMING UP | DSPACE 7
For the remainder of calendar year 2019, TDL’s DSpace projects include:
- Completing the bepress to DSpace migration for new members University of Texas Health Science Center and documenting that process;
- Co-sponsoring and participating in the DSpace North America User Group meeting in Minneapolis;
- Completing enhancements for DSpace 6; and
- Investigating and testing DSpace 7
Plans for DSpace 6 improvements and DSpace 7 upgrades are highly dependent on the timing of the completion of DSpace 7 development work by the DuraSpace community that is currently underway.
READY TO GET INVOLVED?
Anyone – TDL members and non-members alike – is welcome to get involved with TDL’s DSpace work. Here are a few ways you can get involved:
- Attend the DSpace North America Users Group Meeting.
- Join the TDL DSpace User Group.
- Sign up for email updates from TDL.
- Follow us on social media. We are @TXDigLibrary on Twitter and @texasdigitallibrary on Facebook.
- Attend and present at our annual conference, the Texas Conference on Digital Libraries. CFPs for #TCDL2020 will open in early Fall 2019.
- Email us at email@example.com for more information.
- Members: Remember that you can access our helpdesk with all any DSpace question or issue.