With the adoption of Texas Digital Library’s new Strategic Plan in Fall 2020, our Governing Board charged a subcommittee of its members to consider investments of TDL’s cash reserve that would further the mission of TDL and support the success of our current strategic initiatives.
With the help of our Governing Board, TDL identified three areas in which to invest our resources:
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
- Metadata Aggregation for the Digital Public Library of America
- And Vireo sustainability planning
Further, TDL identify these specific initiatives, which we proposed to our Governing Board in June 2021:
- Funding a three-year TDL Diversity Residency position providing meaningful professional experience for an early career librarian interested in digital library work.
- Dedicate funds to assessment and remediation of hosted software applications to meet WCAG web accessibility standards.
- Funding a two-year DPLA Aggregation Program Coordinator position to establish the TDL metadata aggregation service through outreach, training, and service support.
- And engage a consultant to assess the Vireo Open Source Software (OSS) community’s status and needs and make recommendations for long-term sustainability.
Each of the above initiatives were unanimously approved by our board, which means that TDL will begin work on bringing these initiatives to fruition very soon.
All of us at TDL hope that our members, partners, and friends are as excited as we are about these investments in our consortium. TDL is grateful to have access to the collective wisdom of our governing board, member board, and members doing the work in libraries and archives. All members of our consortium will benefit from these initiatives, and we cannot wait to begin this work with you.
Texas Digital Library is a consortium of library and archives professionals that propels the Academy forward by maintaining our past and preparing for the future. Membership in TDL is open to any academic library. Find out more by visiting https://www.tdl.org/members/membership/ or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.