IMLS National Leadership Grant – Texas ETD Repository
Thanks to a National Leadership Grant from the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), the Texas Digital Library, a cooperative organization of institutions of higher learning in Texas, will develop and implement the Texas ETD Repository, a state-wide system for managing the entire life-cycle of electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs) from initial submission to final publication. This project represents a partnership among academic institutions in the second most populous state in the U.S. and the nation’s third most proficient producer of Ph.D.s.
The scope of this project is significant. ETD systems are typically implemented at the campus or system level rather than the state level. This project seeks to produce a model that not only satisfies documented needs, but contributes to the development of international standards so that it can be replicated and scaled elsewhere.
National Leadership Grants help libraries and museums collaborate, build digital resources, and conduct research and demonstration projects. The selected projects are national models that will help foster individual achievement, community responsibility, and life-long learning.
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of federal support for the nation’s 122,000 libraries and 17,500 museums. Its mission is to grow and sustain a “Nation of Learners” because life-long learning is essential to a democratic society and individual success. Through its grant making, convenings, research and publications, the Institute empowers museums and libraries nationwide to provide leadership and services to enhance learning in families and communities, sustain cultural heritage, build twenty-first-century skills, and increase civic participation. To learn more about the Institute, please visit: http://www.imls.gov.
- Funding Institution: Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Program: National Leadership Grants for Museums and Libraries
- Track: Building Digital Resources
- Grant Number: LG-05-07-0095-07
- Project Title: “The Texas ETD Repository: Promoting our Scholarship and Preserving our Legacy”
- Total Funding: $824,626
- Period: Oct. 1, 2007 – Sept. 30, 2010
- Total 2007 National Leadership Grant Applications: 154
- Total Awarded 2007 National Leadership Grants: 27 (17%)
- Total 2007 National Leadership Grant Funding: $12,199,800
- [download id=”17″]
- [download id=”18″]
- [download id=”19″]