The Open Education Network (OEN) is an alliance of higher education institutions committed to improving access, affordability, and academic success through the use of open textbooks. OEN focuses on training libraries and faculty to build capacity for Open Textbook programs.
All current and future Regular and Consortial Members of Texas Digital Library are automatically included in the membership at no additional service cost and receive exclusive benefits as members in the Open Education Network.
The primary benefits of membership in the OEN Network are:
- Free Regional OEN Workshops
- OEN Summer Institute (OENSI)
- Establishing a community of practice with TDL’s OER Ambassadors
To get the most out of your OEN membership, we recommend you commit resources to the following:
- Attend a free workshop | Send your staff to an OEN workshop where they can learn how to start a faculty incentive program for OER on your campus. Registration is free for TDL members. Scroll down for more information.
- Apply to OENSI | The Open Textbook Network Summer Institute is a chance for TDL members to learn, connect, and have fun with colleagues who are working across the country to grow open education programs. TDL has six seats at the weeklong OEN Summer Institute. All expenses will be paid by OEN (travel, registration, lodging). Applications are required. Scroll down to learn more.
- Support your Ambassadors | OEN Summer Institute attendees within the TDL membership will be able to join the TDL OER Ambassadors Group. This group will serve to develop a Community of Practice around OER and a source of expertise for all consortium members. If your library boasts a TDL OER Ambassador, consider broadening your impact and encouraging them to assist other Ambassadors with OER workshops around the state.
- Celebrate with us | Report back on the workshops you host at your campus. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your stats.
Regional OEN Workshops
Texas Digital Library will host train-the-trainer workshops to prepare campus leaders to implement OEN’s OER faculty incentive programs on their campuses. The OEN’s train-the-trainer workshop will increase members’ familiarity with the issues around open textbook adoption, strengthen presentation capacity for future open textbook workshops, and enhance open textbook program development.
Starting in Spring 2020, TDL will host three regional OEN Workshops across the state:
Open Education Week: Tuesday, March 3: San Antonio, Texas
Fall 2020: Date and Location TBD.
NOTE: The workshop scheduled for Monday, March 2 in Dallas has been cancelled.
The OEN Workshops will be free to attend, and open to TDL members only. Dates, locations, and registration information can be found on our OTN Workshops page.
OEN Summer Institute
The members-only OTN Summer Institutes are opportunities for open education leaders to collaboratively develop open education strategies and build a community of practice. The OENSI is a chance for TDL members to learn, connect, and have fun with your colleagues who are working across the country to grow open education programs.
Please visit https://research.cehd.umn.edu/otn/about-us/ or email email@example.com to learn more about member benefits of the Open Education Network.