ATTENTION TDL MEMBERS: Join us for a free webinar to learn all about your OTN Member Benefits. Learn more.
The Open Textbook Network (OTN) is an alliance of higher education institutions committed to improving access, affordability, and academic success through the use of open textbooks. OTN focuses on training libraries and faculty to build capacity for Open Textbook programs.
All current and future Regular and Consortial Members of Texas Digital Library are automatically included in the membership at no additional service cost and receive exclusive benefits as members in the Open Textbook Network.
The primary benefits of membership in the OTN Network are:
- Free Regional OTN Workshops
- OTN Summer Institute (OTNSI)
- Establishing a community of practice with TDL’s OER Ambassadors
To get the most out of your OTN membership, we recommend you commit resources to the following:
- Attend a free workshop | Send your staff to an OTN workshop where they can learn how to start a faculty incentive program for OER on your campus. Registration is free for TDL members. Scroll down for more information.
- Apply to OTNSI | The Open Textbook Network Summer Institute is a chance for TDL members to learn, connect, and have fun with colleagues who are working across the country to grow open education programs. TDL has six seats at the weeklong OTN Summer Institute in Summer of 2020. All expenses will be paid by OTN (travel, registration, lodging). Applications are required. Scroll down to learn more.
- Support your Ambassadors | OTN Summer Institute attendees within the TDL membership will be able to join the TDL OER Ambassadors Group. This group will serve to develop a Community of Practice around OER and a source of expertise for all consortium members. If your library boasts a TDL OER Ambassador, consider broadening your impact and encouraging them to assist other Ambassadors with OER workshops around the state.
- Celebrate with us | Report back on the workshops you host at your campus. Email email@example.com with your stats.
Regional OTN Workshops
Texas Digital Library will host train-the-trainer workshops to prepare campus leaders to implement OTN’s OER faculty incentive programs on their campuses. The OTN’s train-the-trainer workshop will increase members’ familiarity with the issues around open textbook adoption, strengthen presentation capacity for future open textbook workshops, and enhance open textbook program development.
Starting in Spring 2020, TDL will host three regional OTN Workshops across the state:
Open Education Week
- Monday, March 2: Dallas, Texas
- Tuesday, March 3: San Antonio, Texas
Fall 2020: Date and Location TBD.
The OTN Workshops will be free to attend, and open to TDL members only. Dates, locations, and registration information can be found on our OTN Workshops page.
OTN Summer Institute
The members-only OTN Summer Institutes are opportunities for open education leaders to collaboratively develop open education strategies and build a community of practice. The OTNSI is a chance for TDL members to learn, connect, and have fun with your colleagues who are working across the country to grow open education programs.
TDL has six seats at the weeklong OTN Summer Institute in Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 27-31, 2020. All expenses will be paid by OTN (travel, registration, lodging). Two of the six seats are reserved for ARL members.
TDL members are asked to apply to attend the OTNSI. Applications will be reviewed by TDL members who have attended the OTNSI in previous years.
OTNSI application information can be found on our OTNSI Summer Institute Page.
TDL OER Ambassadors
OTN Summer Institute attendees within the TDL Membership will be able to join the TDL OER Ambassadors Group. The group will serve to develop a Community of Practice around OER, assist with OTN workshops and faculty incentive programs, and be a source of expertise on OTN and OER for all consortium members.
Willingness to become a TDL OER Ambassador is a requirement for application for any of the TDL consortial seats at OTNSI. Visit our OER Ambassadors page to learn more and apply.
Please visit https://research.cehd.umn.edu/otn/about-us/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about member benefits of the Open Textbook Network.