TDL’s DPLA Aggregation Service will enable Texas institutions with digital cultural heritage collections to have their materials discoverable in the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA).
Through this service, TDL aggregates metadata from collections across the state; this metadata will join that already coming from the Portal to Texas History’s wonderful collections and become discoverable through dp.la.
When your institution subscribes to TDL’s DPLA Aggregation Service, TDL will:
- harvest and aggregate your collections’ metadata – optimized for discovery according to DPLA’s metadata standards;
- and deliver your metadata to DPLA.
Additional requirements for participation outlined below:
- Submission of letter of permission to Texas Digital Library to allow harvesting (template here)
- Willingness to allow metadata to be made accessible under a CC0 license through DPLA (see the TDL DPLA Metadata Guidelines for more information)
- Staff time dedicated to consulting with TDL staff to ensure appropriate metadata mapping
- Digital collections that meet the following criteria
- Collections that meet DPLA’s Collection Development Guidelines. Note that TxHub will aggregate collections of cultural heritage materials only (not theses and dissertations, faculty works, or other scholarly publications. Nor do we encourage the inclusion of serialized content such as newspapers, or of archival finding aids described at the box or folder level).
- Ability to provide metadata through OAI-PMH (many repository platforms, including DSpace, CONTENTdm, and Islandora meet this requirement.)
- Availability of items on a publicly-accessible site (i.e., no paywalls, IP restrictions, or required log-ins)
- Ability to store and provide preview or thumbnail images of the objects in the collection (this is a common feature in most systems)
- Ability to provide a link back to the record on your digital collection site.
- Ability to supply required metadata fields as outlined in the TDL DPLA Metadata Application Profile
|One-time/First-year on-boarding fees|
|Large Research Institutions (Founding ARL And High Research Institutions)||$2,500|
|Small institutions (All others)||$1,000|
|Maintenance fees (after the first year)|
|Large Research Institutions (Founding ARL And High Research Institutions)||$500|
|Small institutions (All others)||$250|
Institutions may also participate by becoming a DPLA Affiliate Member.Affiliate members use only one service provided by TDL and do not participate in TDL governance or have other benefits of full (Regular) membership.
|Affiliate Member fees|
|One-time on-boarding fee (first year)||$5,000|
|Maintenance fees (after the first year)||$1,000|
You can find more information on the TxHub service and associated fees in the TDL wiki at: https://texasdigitallibrary.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DMHT/overview.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Texas Digital Library is a consortium of library and archives professionals that propels the Academy forward by maintaining our past and preparing for the future. Membership in TDL is open to any academic library. Find out more by visiting https://www.tdl.org/members/membership/ or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.