The Texas Digital Library hosts DSpace digital repositories for its member institutions, allowing them provide reliable online access to their scholarly and pedagogic output.
With a digital repository hosted by the TDL, institutions can collect, store, preserve, and disseminate digital content – including documents, audio files, images, and datasets – all within a secure, professionally managed environment in the Amazon Cloud.
TDL digital repositories use DSpace, a widely-used open source repository software that can manage and preserve all types of digital content and facilitates indexing of that content by commercial search engines, such as Google.
Why use a Digital Repository?
A Digital Repository hosted by the TDL:
- promotes the principles of open access by providing opportunities for faculty self-archiving
- ensures the long-term preservation and accessibility of digital assets
- provides access to unpublished research of faculty, research staff, and students
- preserves and disseminates a wide variety of content beyond traditional scholarly articles, including datasets, learning objects, electronic theses and dissertations, audio-visual content, and presentations.
- helps universities fulfill obligations to make publicly funded or non-profit-funded research available on an open access basis
- allows universities to capture digital e-learning courseware so they can expand on existing programs
- encourages access and sharing among disciplines and institutions
- showcases an institution’s faculty and student output, and through participation in the Texas Digital Library consortium, the scholarly contributions of the entire state
Setting up a DSpace Repository
To set up an Digital Repository hosted by the TDL, you must be an institution of higher learning in Texas and a member of the Texas Digital Library. To find out more about membership opportunities, please see the Membership section of our Web site.
If you are a member of the Texas Digital Library and need assistance in setting up an Digital Repository, please contact us for more information.